Okay, So Let's Say Universal Hadn't Screwed Up...

Technically, when they had Digital Eclipse develop the GBA Season of Ice and Season of Flame games, which came out before Enter the Dragonfly, we didn't have to consider Universal as "screwing up," at least in the Spyro sense. It was okay at best, due to the GBA's unfotunate limitations, but it was still playable, a good amount of Spyro charm was there, and we still got to flame sheep and toast some baddies.

Obviously, Enter the Dragonfly is where Universal accidentally pressed the "print" button on Spyro's coffin, to put it bluntly, but let's say Universal hadn't made the decision to rush Enter the Dragonfly in order to meet the holiday deadline they had. Let's say they actually let Check Six finish everything they started. At this point, it's wishful thinking, but let's think of the possibilities of what'd happen if the game hadn't been rushed:

1. Tolerance for Spyro would still exist.

This is first and foremost. After Universal pushed out the unfinished trash that was EtD, so many parents probably got more annoyed at their kids' grieving confusions at a glitchy purple dragon game than their own agonizing annoyances toward an irritating purple dinosaur tv show, and cocky N64 kids would have their superficial beliefs confirmed that Spyro was "just a very cheap Super Mario 64 clone." Years down the road, even I wouldn't get a comment from a dummy saying, "Spyro is trash."

2. The chronicle and timeline of the PS2 and GBA Spyro games before TLoS would be made more clear.

Think about it: since the order of the Spyro games isn't made explicit, nobody's exactly sure what the timeline of the Spyro games is vs the actual release date of said games. Take the first three games that came out after Year of the Dragon, for instance:

- Season of Ice: it came out in 2001. It sets itself up where Spyro and co are just chillin' on a beach, and we have to stop a guy named Grendor, who started their evil plan by freezing fairies in ice crystals. We can safely consider this as a soft sequel, if not a direct one.
    - Season of Flame: it came out in Sept/Oct 2002. It sets itself up where fireflies have been stolen and have thus made every dragon breathe ice instead of fire. Okay, so it's looking like another soft sequel, but then a fairy tells Spyro and co that Ripto's behind this. Um, what? Didn't Ripto die in lava by the time the second game ended? What happened? How did he survive? Who resurrected him if he did die? Is there a demonic spirit that can resurrect anyone? I forgot whether EtD's marketing spoiled Ripto in it, but if it did, Flame definitely can't be considered a direct sequel of any sort, and possibly not even a soft one.
    - Enter the Dragonfly: it came out Nov 2002. A balloon of the Sorceress shows up before anything, and then Hunter...screams? Whatever. Ripto then just flat-out shows up on a not-so-looking-like-a devil's summon star, along with Crush and Gulp. I know it might not seem like much, but think about the balloons: one of them is the Sorceress. I think we'd typically see this sort of thing, with the balloon of the defeated villain and all, immediately after they've been defeated, so it should be safe to assume that this takes place after Year of the Dragon, right? Well, that conflicts with the established belief that Season of Ice was supposed to take place after Year of the Dragon, considering that in Enter the Dragonfly, Spyro's just now learning to use different breaths at will. Can we assume that this is a one-year anniversary celebration instead? Or that EtD actually takes place before Season of Ice, in which case Spyro is unable to use multiple breaths by in SoI due to a lost connection with the spirit that gives him the multi-breath ability? (Actually, considering the fairies that give him the new breath types in A Hero's Tail, the latter might be more plausible.)

3. The Legend of Spyro would either exist as a spinoff series or its own franchise, unrelated to Spyro

This kind of also means that my now becoming-least-favorite (not that it was to begin with) Spyro game, Spyro: Shadow Legacy, probably wouldn't have come to fruition the way it did, but at least the creators of TLoS would've been more likely able to think of what they exactly wanted to do with their take on Spyro. If they still wanted to do Shadow Legacy, so be it, because at least they would've been able to develop it as a console game (like I've heard rumors about it being so, or possibly a PSP game, since it's more powerful and has housed more PS spinoffs at the time), without having to strip the core Spyro elements too soon in the game itself. If it succeeded then, maybe TLoS would've been developed as a spinoff series where Spyro goes back in time with The Sorcerer, in which The Sorcerer's role is that of Malefor's and Spyro's role is that of TLoS Spyro's, except that even though it'd still be open world, Spyro would've already known his own abilities, and The Sorcerer would be alive, all while the core Spyro series still runs. If Shadow Legacy still didn't succeed, at least the creators of that game could still give us the entire TLoS trilogy in a different form, and if still with dragons, with a different dragon protagonist instead.

4. Universal would still hold rights and, if extra kind, would allow Insomniac to make another Spyro game.

Yes, what I've said so far implies that Universal still held the rights to Spyro, since they would've known how to do quality control with him and could've held Spyro up with Crash as the brothers they were marketed as to no shame, both advertising wise and profiting wise. Basically, they would've been more financially stable if they did both Spyro and Crash right, in a way that selling themselves to Vivendi would've been unnecessary, thus avoiding their Interactive division's eventual closure, which, for better or worse, would've led to Spyro still owned by Universal in the end. The bad part of this is that even though this means they would've done a good job managing Spyro games up until this point, they could've finally decided to do an exploitive stunt out of the dragon, but the good part of it is that they could've also done a complete 180 and asked Insomniac Games if they wanted to make the next game. As a bonus, maybe at this time, Ted Price would've had more ideas as to what to do with Spyro, and we could've gotten a dream Spyro game from the one who started it all, and an even better one than any in the PS1 trilogy. If not, at least we won't have to say goodbye to the Spyro us OGs knew so soon.

5. That other game that turned out to use Spyro as a pawn to get itself popular wouldn't have had to use Spyro at all.

[strike]Sm1 would know what I mean by this LMAO[/strike] This sort of follows my third point I made on this list, but in a way that would've still turned out a success for that company I don't like to talk about. Let's face it: they're marketing masterminds. They'll make any game a juggernaut, even disgustingly so (looking at their CoD 4 Remastered bs).

6. We still would've gotten very fantastic, out-of-the-ordinary settings and characters.

I know how people think how that other series is "imaginative," and how that series' creator says that """""imagination""""" was the best thing to implement going forward or some [thing] like that, but we would've gotten environments that are actually imaginative in ten folds and a whole lot more. We would've gotten highward palaces with propelling winds in between each floating piece of earth off the ground. We would've gotten magical gates that connect said places to the actual grounds, one of which would be where a fantasy-like gathering of Zootopians that not only contain furs, but also avians and scales, some of which would be rocking tricky outfits, spells, or gadgets for no reason. We would've even gotten expansive jeweled caves, lush forests, or shiny deep reefs, and sure, maybe some of the characters involved would be straight outta FurAffinity, but I'd humbly welcome them. A good chunk of them seem fit for the Spyro universe.

7. Fanfare for Spyro in general could be potentially close to any of Nintendo's most popular properties.

Literally. No joke here. You see how kids....well....skedaddle over that other series, but Spyro would generally get more praise every year, instead of the stereotypical association he gets with the wrong game. Spyro cosplay would also be more accepted and we'd get better ones that don't look awkward, Spyro animations would either as clean or even cleaner and more fluid than Spyro Does A Thing, and we'd still see Spyro in Universal's theme park. Heck, Google searching would be more of a heaven, Google images would prove that even more, and if we're lucky, we'd even get a professional 3D render outside of a dev studio that tops IceDragonhawk's "Spyro Origins" enough to get the third Spyro Daily Deviation on DeviantART. What'd be a true gem is if Spyro got his Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade float in 2012, and even better, he was with Crash in the same year, even next to him, thus cementing his golden status that he'll now never achieve.

[strike]8. I'd be more open to buying the Spyro remastered trilogy[/strike]

[strike]the strike tag works here, right? RIGHT?![/strike]
    Last edited by LocoGuy107; 18-Mar, 2017 at 12:27 AM.

Regarding Ripto's fate in Ripto's Rage!, in the epilogue, he survived and was used as a toy for one of Spyro's adult dragon friends. In Year of the Dragon, in the epilogue, he and Gnasty Gnorc made a cameo discussing the "Spyro problem", which would lead to the storyline of Enter the Dragonfly (except Gnasty Gnorc didn't make the cut in the final version).

Ripto was my favorite Spyro boss, but I often wondered that myself in EtD..
    I do think of the publishers a lot when it comes to the relation of them and Spyro, like how in the newest zombies map in the redwoods,

For example:

You collect gems

You talk to fairies

You collect statues of 4 different animals, like you do in the first Spyro, saving the crystallized statue dragons

There's a mine with lots of colorful lights next to the entrance of the Recreation Area, like Glimmer from 'Ripto's Rage!'

You collect 3 parts to get on a boat that takes you to the island, just like in the first Spyro how you need to do at least 3 levels to be able to get to the boss of the Artisans world

The map is suppose to take place in the 90's, and Spyro was released in the 90's

I think they were thinking of Spyro when they made that themselves! I love it so much :3

Quote Originally Posted by SaffronRose View Post
    Regarding Ripto's fate in Ripto's Rage!, in the epilogue, he survived and was used as a toy for one of Spyro's adult dragon friends. In Year of the Dragon, in the epilogue, he and Gnasty Gnorc made a cameo discussing the "Spyro problem", which would lead to the storyline of Enter the Dragonfly (except Gnasty Gnorc didn't make the cut in the final version).
    Not sure how big of a grain of salt I should take that first part of the statement with, but I forgot about that second part at the least. Maybe Gnasty ended up training Ripto to do, at the very least, a shape shifting spell that the Gnorc himself learned, but is ultimately a more powerful magician than Ripto and would've barged in last-minute when Ripto was about to be/became defeated, but accidentally got drunk or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Jecnorak View Post
    Ripto was my favorite Spyro boss, but I often wondered that myself in EtD..
    I do think of the publishers a lot when it comes to the relation of them and Spyro, like how in the newest zombies map in the redwoods,

For example:

You collect gems

You talk to fairies

You collect statues of 4 different animals, like you do in the first Spyro, saving the crystallized statue dragons

There's a mine with lots of colorful lights next to the entrance of the Recreation Area, like Glimmer from 'Ripto's Rage!'

You collect 3 parts to get on a boat that takes you to the island, just like in the first Spyro how you need to do at least 3 levels to be able to get to the boss of the Artisans world

The map is suppose to take place in the 90's, and Spyro was released in the 90's

I think they were thinking of Spyro when they made that themselves! I love it so much :3
    So, Check Six was actually more worthy than we thought to make a Spyro game? Well, now I actually want to see them get back on the dragon train, under a publisher that won't rush them (and one I'd tolerate to see their logo on the game case).

Technically yes, but it'd be impossible to think of the 90's when in Avalar.

Honestly, it'd be hard to try imagining the 90's today, now that we're so far into the second decade of the century/millennium. I think some elements of the 90's could be fit for a new Spyro game at the least, considering there was a minimal amount of technology in the Insomniac games, with AHT actually embracing technology in the Spyro universe more as a bonus. Maybe put a slightly more modern, fantasy-like BioShock Columbia for the sky, and something similar for the sea? It's just a bare-bones "could this suffice?" thing, but it's something to think about, since BioShock's elements are supernatural, and dragons are supernatural themselves.

Getting back to the topic though, what other benefits that both the Spyro universe and the Spyro fandom do you think would have had if Universal hadn't screwed up?

Although I do love technology, Spyro would not need that added. If anything, there are advanced cities like Metropolis, but I don't think the style should actually change from it, or anything related to Metropolis.
    You know what I mean, right?
    I love technology more than almost everything, but it's being used too much in everything now. Also, Spyro wasn't that style at all.

Answer to topic: #RIPSparx
    Last edited by Jecnorak; 20-Mar, 2017 at 11:34 PM.