Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Would you guys care if the Kinetic Tether is gone?

Ok well I guess it's not confirmed that it's gone, when I saw Ratchet hit one of those things on the wall to open a door, I expected him to wrench tether it, but he didn't. To me, that sort of hinted that it wouldn't be in the game. Would you guys care if it wasn't though? I liked it a lot actually. It made the wrench seem more important.
    Last edited by icyflamez96; 9-Oct, 2013 at 09:22 PM.

You mean the kinetic tether? "Grav tether" is the new gadget which is central to the design of large parts of ItN, so I'd be very surprised if it wasn't in the game.

I wouldn't be particularly disappointed if the kinetic tether went. It wasn't in A4O or FFA, so I wasn't really expecting it to begin with. As a game mechanic, it was always a bit awkward anyways, though it made some puzzles more interactive by allowing you direct control over moving pieces of the environment.

So no, not particularly fussed if the kinetic tether doesn't return.
    Last edited by darknemesis99; 9-Oct, 2013 at 06:05 PM.

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." –Robert McCloskey

Quote Originally Posted by darknemesis99 View Post
    You mean the kinetic tether? "Grav tether" is the new gadget which is central to design of large parts of ItN, so I'd be very surprised if it wasn't in the game.

I wouldn't be particularly disappointed if the kinetic tether went. It wasn't in A4O or FFA, so I wasn't really expecting it to begin with. As a game mechanic, it was always a bit awkward anyways, though it made some puzzles more interactive by allowing you direct control over moving pieces of the environment.

So no, not particularly fussed if the kinetic tether doesn't return.
    Crap, yeah that's what I meant. I wish I could edit the topic title.

No biggie. It was just a bit confusing until I figured out what you meant.

I was just playing Q4B, and it actually felt pretty good in the platforming sections. I think my impression of it being awkward must come from ACiT, pulling fuses from hydra-tanks, where it seemed to serve the sole purpose of forcing you to plant your feet for a chunk of time while shock waves are coming at you, which was a bit more frustrating than I'd expect a simple control mechanism to be in a Ratchet game. In general, wrench controls have gone the other way, making you better able to move while using the wrench rather than unable.

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." –Robert McCloskey

You can actually. Edit the first post and choose Advanced Edit. You can find a box just above the post body text where you can alter the title of the thread.

I am sad to see the Kinetic Tether go. After upgrading weapons came about in GC there was no reason to use the Wrench on enemies; it's a waste of XP and like most other melee weapons it tends to get Ratchet killed, so it just gets relegated to the box smasher item. The Kinetic Tether in QFB brought a freshness to the Wrench that made it relevant again. Rather than being an outdated weapon, it now became a puzzle gadget that revitalized the thing, and next to Constructo Weapons it was one of the best new features introduced by the PS3 titles for me. To see it gone just puts it back in it's spot from GC-ToD: a box breaker that you avoid using in combat.

902 KBABZ Awards

Aim high in life, but watch out for flying boxes.

While I wouldn't be overly upset, I would heavily prefer if it had been in the game.

It was a cool mechanic, though its QFB implementation suffered by requiring you to use the camera stick to control the objects... CiT fixed that by using the other stick, but it still felt awkward sometimes, especially for when it was pulling things out - 'cause really you were just sitting there with little to no feedback, waiting for it to come out. I liked it but I wouldn't be too fussed if it didn't reappear, I don't hold it as highly as staple mechanics like grind rails and such. (even then UYA didn't have them and manages to be one of the all-time best in the series)

An interesting difference between QFB and ACiT was the icon it showed to tell you if something was tetherable. QFB had a wrench head icon, while ACiT had the button combo to tell you what you needed to press. I've said this all before but I'm not a fan of how hand-holding games (in general but R&C's definitely a culprit) are becoming in those regards, the newer games are getting littered with icons telling you 'circle to swingshot' or 'square to wrench', things we've been doing for 10 years now without any help... so why are they starting now? Has focus testing actually shown that people don't know and/or remember what buttons to press or actions to do in given situations (moreso than before)? Or are they just going by the 'player is stupid' principle and playing everything safe? In a co-op game like A4O it's understandable because you'll be focusing on interactions with other people, but in a single player game it's unnecessary and patronising.. at this rate we'll start getting button reminders for every long jump and high jump. Teaching the player's fine - teaching, not 'telling them every time so they don't have to learn'

Just my 2 cents, I still love the series and am gonna buy them regardless of that. It's just one of those things that I'm against.

I think it might be a reaction to the Helipod scenario from Tools of Destruction. Many, many people got stuck in the Ublik Passage two-thirds of the way in because there was a dingy that you needed to use the Heli-Pods on. However, it's easily possible in the game to have not used them since you acquired them on Mukow (just skip the Raritanium paths on Viceron and Ublik), and as a result using a gadget they'd only used once wouldn't occur to them and they'd get stuck. For new players this could happen with the Swingshot and Bolt Cranks if it isn't used for long level stretches, which is probably why the icons appeared.

I don't mind the mechanic in general, but I would prefer if there were an option to either have it disappear after using a gameplay mechanic a certain amount of times, or altogether for something like Challenge Mode. Of course this wouldn't affect Grav-Targets since the Circle Button design is actually a phyisical element of the target itself!

902 KBABZ Awards

Yeah, things like that are an example of good design - blending in help information like that with the object instead of making it a billboarded icon. It's still probably a little too subtle for people to actually use it for help but I still think it's a nice touch.

Didn't know about that heli-pod issue, and that might even explain it. It's possible they never had that problem in testing though, otherwise I would imagine they would have created a helpdesk message for it like in the older games (pretty sure mike and tony talked about the helpdesk messages at some point). And it would definitely make sense that that was a turning point where they never wanted things like that to happen again, so they're just playing it safe with everything now. Especially for new players, it's totally understandable for seemingly trivial things like bolt cranks and swingshots to be an unknown (even going through deadlocked HD I keep on getting bolt crank helpdesk messages when I stand around them for too long, that would be an example of much less patronising help 'cause it gives the player a chance to figure it out first). Usually the first time those mechanics appear a helpdesk message would explain them, and you would assume that people would remember after that. Or just set a timed helpdesk message for when people are in the general vicinity of one of those objects for too long without doing anything (but it'd much more complicated to implement and test than I make it sound, I'd imagine). I get that it can be useful for newcomers... at the end of the day I just want to be able to turn it off :P

And on the kinetic tether, When I first played QFB I didn't know about that mechanic and I was impressed, it was a new idea that gave more purpose to the wrench and added different interactions with the world (positioning platforms hadn't been done before, same with prepping springs). It in part added to why I love QFB so much for its slightly different more platformy feel. In ACIT its purpose was much more... pulling plugs. Not as fun, because you get little to no feedback while you hold the stick back and it doesn't feel as good. It feels like you're working hard to pull a plug - which is what it was, but that's not fun to do. Using it to position platforms or extend a bridge? That's useful and satisfying because you're doing something tangible to the world, not just doing something that's essentially activating a switch with a timed delay. The springs are alright too, because you can actually use it for something and see the progress as you pull it back - not just 'oh you activated the thing after holding the stick back for a few seconds! Now do it again two more times before you can actually progress!'. There's better things to do for fetch quests. Like bolt cranks. sounds a little hypocritical because it's also just holding a joystick down since you don't even need to spin it, but at least you can see movement instead of it being the stationary struggle between you and pulling a bolt out of a wall.

I recall that Vorselon's ship had thos bridges you had to pull down, but you're right, other than that it's just pulling plugs. However to me it still felt like a good function for the Wrench to do because it had a task that wasn't replicable by other weapons (outside of Bolt Cranks).

I also liked CiT's winch cranks. You know, those vertical bolt cranks you used by moving the Left Stick back and forth? That was a neat touch and made the wrench feel more like a tool.

902 KBABZ Awards