Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Regarding Change

Over the past few days, I've been trying to put into words my opinion about the tonal shift we've seen from Overstrike to Fuse. I would really appreciate it if you all could hear me out on why I'm sad to see the old style go, but glad we saw this evolution take place.

When Overstrike was first announced at E3 2011, I was beyond excited. The visuals were stylish, the writing hysterical, and the tone was light and fun. All of these elements came together and made Insomniac’s new IP look truly different from anything else on the market. Flash-forward to today and you'll notice that Fuse (formerly known as Overstrike) has taken on a somewhat different vibe. Where Dalton was sarcastic and witty in the Overstrike reveal, he's cold and angry in Fuse's Mission Briefing. The exaggerated character models seem to have been toned back. And overall, the game’s story and presentation feel fairly heavier than before. The biggest reason Overstrike resonated so well with me was because it looked like a game that didn’t take itself too seriously; something that seems to have been dropped in the transition to Fuse.

So needless to say, Fuse is pretty different from what I had expected. But you know what? I'm still as excited as ever, just for different reasons.

Walking into IG last week, the big question on everyone’s mind was, “What happened to Overstrike?” And that was one of the first thing addressed in the presentation. After debuting the game at E3, the team found that it was gradually becoming darker and more violent as they continued experimenting with the weapons and discovering what truly drives their game. The decision to take Fuse in a more serious direction wasn’t instantaneous. EA didn’t give them an ultimatum and it wasn’t a split-second decision in an attempt to “sell out.” At the heart of it all, the reason Insomniac changed Overstrike to Fuse is simple: Some of the elements just didn’t fit into the game they’re making. It’s impossible to tell what would’ve happened had Insomniac restricted itself to the original style of Overstrike and not allowed the experimentation and growth that led to the tonal shift present today in Fuse. But if we could see how things played out had Insomniac stuck with Overstrike, I bet we’d see an exhausted team struggling to get their project out the door.

After playing the game myself (check out some impressions here), I can honestly say that I have more concerns about how people will react to Fuse than I have about the game itself. Over the next few days, there are going to be a lot of angry reactions on the web (as alluded to by Fuse’s immediate crucifixion upon announcement). So while I can understand and relate to upset fans of Overstrike, I think it’s important to bear in mind that IG has already thought long and hard about our reactions. While talking with a couple of Fuse’s developers, it became immediately apparent to me that all of the extremely difficult decisions Insomniac makes are made in the best interest of us, the gamers. Everything IG does, is done with the sole intention of creating the best possible game for us to play. There’s a certain amount of faith that goes into this type of reasoning, but after years of unwavering fan service, Insomniac has surely earned my trust.

Would I have enjoyed Overstrike more than Fuse? I’ll never know. What I do know is, Insomniac has a long history of delivering fantastic experiences. They know better than anyone what’s best for their games. For this reason, I urge you to approach Fuse with an open mind. It may not be exactly what you had expected or hoped for, but there are plenty of reasons to be excited. But if you do decide to write off Fuse because of these new changes, just know that you’ll be missing out on one incredible experience.

Can we get this stickied? Please?

Pretty much my thoughts, except replace "What happened to Overstike?" with "Will I be playing FFA?", because I wasn't part of the big Fuse thing that happened on Facebook.

As an artist of sorts myself, I totally understand how the design and feel of something can change and evolve over time, as I've had it happen with my own stories over the years. Design should never be static.

913 KBABZ Awards

Aim high in life, but watch out for flying boxes.

TL;DR

KIDDING

nice post +1 raisins for you

Quote Originally Posted by KBABZ View Post
    Can we get this stickied? Please?
    Your wish is my command!

Sweet, in that case, I'd like to be promoted to mod, have a swimming pool filled entirely of Fanta and a time machine by Friday, please!

913 KBABZ Awards

I'm okay with the change now. It was a shock indeed. But the way they explained it made it sound like it was totally out of their control... like, they could have made the game fit around the original style if they wanted to you know?

And I understand people's negative reactions, but I'm curious- the fans are what makes a game big, and if ALOT people are obviously angry about this then surely IG should take people's reactions into consideration and realise that people actually wanted the old style because it was really unique and fun?

Not to put a downer or anything, I'm really looking forward to it :P I'm just trying to understand IG's thoughts on this.

I would just like to add that my perception of both Overstrike and Fuse are completely personal and won't exactly match with the views of the community here or Insominac's. This is just my perspective, as a fan, of the transition.

Quote Originally Posted by Magnum View Post
    I would just like to add that my perception of both Overstrike and Fuse are completely personal and won't exactly match with the views of the community here or Insominac's. This is just my perspective, as a fan, of the transition.
    But it is a very wise one, and I only wish more people were able to take the change like you have.

I don't think it was out of their control, Mel, I feel that from how Ted and the others explained it that it was much more them finding the game they wanted to make, without restrictions. There are certain things they can do in Ratchet that won't fly in Fuse, and vice versa.

913 KBABZ Awards

Quote Originally Posted by Melazzee View Post
    And I understand people's negative reactions, but I'm curious- the fans are what makes a game big, and if ALOT people are obviously angry about this then surely IG should take people's reactions into consideration and realise that people actually wanted the old style because it was really unique and fun?
    The problem with this is that: 1) The change wasn't arbitrary. They think it's a better game and they're able to tell a better story by having it this way and 2) Just because people that were already fans would rather have the campy style doesn't mean that EVERYONE would. Most of the people complaining are primarily Ratchet fans, while Insomniac is releasing a probably mature rated game to appeal to a broader audience. They're not just catering to Ratchet fans, they're catering to the main demographics of both systems (360 and PS3) and I believe they're better off for it and the sales will show that.

Heh, I miss when the main demographic enjoyed platformers :P

I understand now. It's a shame that the main demographic is giving the industry a bit of tunnel vision, but... eh, I'm sure the game will be great. I'm looking forward to the weapons if anything!

EDIT- I'm kinda worried about the violence though. I'm a bit of a pussy, would you say this game would do well with me? :P
    Last edited by Melazzee; 12-Sep, 2012 at 08:57 AM.