Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Dear God, please no. We need games to take LESS things from CoD and other FPS games. I hope that this game ends up being something like a mix of Brink and Borderlands. Brink did things right with their game modes, granted each map always had the exact same objectives. But a game where there are four specific characters (basically four classes), game modes with objectives and co-operative play will better fit. I would rather they keep the online to only co-operative play, unless they can come up with some really good 4 v. 4 game modes with a good way pf matching up players. Playing a game like this, most people are going to have a favorite character that they always play as and know that one character inside and out. If they don't make it so that you can be the specific character you want, the online will be a complete and utter failure.

The thing about Deathmatch is that it's a feature every Shooter has. If a game doesn't have it then a player (particularly an Online one) feels more reassured about the game types. If the other modes feel too 'weird' (which is online speak for "unique and something I haven't tried before"), then they can always fall back on a couple of Deathmatch games.

Granted Overstrike's gameplay would probably focus on Team Deathmatch given the characters.

867 KBABZ Awards

Aim high in life, but watch out for flying boxes.

No no no! I want to see Insomniac go all out, co-op and do anything and everything with crazy weapons. Competitive MP just doesn't work well with out of this world weapons that are over the top and exotic. I'd rather them do something unique and fill a void that still hasn't been scratched, and that is a moderately competitive co-operative game. They had inklings of this in Resistance 2, where players were competing for XP and kills, so hopefully they'll build some of that into Overstrike.

There's ton's of potential here, and I'd hate to see it wasted catering to a group of consumers who are entirely too fickle for their own good. Break the mold, and make an insanely awesome robust co-op experience that people will love to play. Hell, make each map competitive by adding scoring mechanics, waves, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by tha_con View Post
    Competitive MP just doesn't work well with out of this world weapons that are over the top and exotic.
    Meanwhile, in UYA...

867 KBABZ Awards

Aim high in life, but watch out for flying boxes.

Quote Originally Posted by KBABZ View Post
    Meanwhile, in UYA...
    UYA was fantastic, but it wasn't exactly competitive or balanced. Amazingly fun, and over the top, but that's not what I'm talking about :P

If Overstrike features head-to-head competitive play, isn't team deathmatch basically required for playtesting purposes? How else would you deal with weapon balancing and such?

Right, which is why I don't want any competitive stuff (granted, it will probably have it anyway).

I'd just like to see it be full blown co-op, and make the co-op play semi competitive ala R2 Co-op, with leaderboards and the like.

I want some competitive game modes in overstrike, I think it will do good and add some more replay value.
    Last edited by benjy619; 24-May, 2012 at 12:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by tha_con View Post
    Right, which is why I don't want any competitive stuff (granted, it will probably have it anyway).

I'd just like to see it be full blown co-op, and make the co-op play semi competitive ala R2 Co-op, with leaderboards and the like.
    So everyone could complain when I am #1 again, sure,...

jsut kidding

sounds like a good game.

Quote Originally Posted by leapbrowser View Post
    So everyone could complain when I am #1 again, sure,...

jsut kidding

sounds like a good game.
    Eh, I think people complain more because you think your #1 places mean something. Get #1 in something like KDR, Accuracy, or KPM, and maybe they'll complain less

That said, I'm not entirely against the idea of competitive play in this, though it would be better served 1v1 ala Borderlands, for balance purposes. We'll just have to wait and see what happens though!