Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Nintendo NX Official Discussion

I think it's time to make a thread discussing the official successor to the Wii U, the Nintendo NX.

We don't know much about it currently beyond the fact that it will be a home console, and that there will be a reveal of it sometime this year.

It is rumored to be a handheld hybrid, however.

My predictions for it are:

It will release either this fall or next year. It will have some sort of gimmick, probably that handheld hybrid thing that's been talked about, and it will probably be about as powerful as the Ps4/Xbox One. Zelda U will be a cross gen title and it will launch with another 3D Mario and possibly a Metroid. I think Insomniac might be working on a game with Nintendo, seeing as how they follow eachother on Twitter and Vitti has mentioned that they have several unannounced games in the pipeline. Additionally, IG have mentioned continued interest in new IP and allegedly there have been dev kits out since E3. Another thing that I think makes this likely is that it is rumored that Nintendo is working on restoring relationships with third parties for the NX. Having Insomniac make a game for them would be a win-win for both, especially if IG own the IP. And IG are known best for making family friendly games, so I'm sure their games (like Ratchet or Spyro) would fit in perfectly. Of course, this could turn out to be false, but I think it could happen.
    Last edited by weasel188900; 15-Jan, 2016 at 10:47 AM.

Question is, will it be compatible with Wii and ( or at least) Wii U games? A lot of people don't feel like spending their money on the Wii U but are still interested in some of it's games.

Quote Originally Posted by JulianC1991 View Post
    Question is, will it be compatible with Wii and ( or at least) Wii U games? A lot of people don't feel like spending their money on the Wii U but are still interested in some of it's games.
    Nintendo are moving away from the Wii brand, so I'm not sure if they want to be associated with that.

Although if it is indeed a handheld-console hybrid, I'm sure they can easily emulate the gamepad with that. And I'm sure Nintendo would put forth the effort to make a Wii U emulator if it uses a different architecture.

I'm just not sure if they're willing to.
    Last edited by weasel188900; 14-Jan, 2016 at 05:06 PM.

If it's not BC, they need to port over smash bros.

Better yet, have Smash Wii U installed with each NX console.

Sounds way too good to be true, I know.

Quote Originally Posted by icyflamez96 View Post
    If it's not BC, they need to port over smash bros.

Better yet, have Smash Wii U installed with each NX console.

Sounds way too good to be true, I know.
    I'm sure they will. They've invested a lot into Smash Bros.

I think they'll port that, Splatoon, Mariokart 8 and Mario Maker to NX.

Quote Originally Posted by weasel188900 View Post
    I think it's time to make a thread discussing the official successor to the Wii U...
    Erroneous statement: Nintendo has confirmed a hundred-or-so time between last May and last December that the NX is neither a successor to the Wii U nor the 3DS. It's a new third category of gaming device to complement the existing two.

Quote Originally Posted by Cron-Z View Post
    Erroneous statement: Nintendo has confirmed a hundred-or-so time between last May and last December that the NX is neither a successor to the Wii U nor the 3DS. It's a new third category of gaming device to complement the existing two.
    Like the DS/GBA/Wii were supposed to be a three categories?

They've used that analogy before. If the NX is a home console the Wii-U is dead, if it's portable, the 3DS is dead. If It's both... Maybe they'll unify it to one thing?

Insomniac Games - North Carolina
    Associate Designer

That could just mean it's a handheld-console hybrid that replaces both the Wii U and 3DS. I personally think it's either that or they're saying that so they don't scare Wii U sales.

Ugh I just want a normal gaming console. Can I just have a normal console that plays games that are good? I guess nintendo wants to convey that that's not what they do precisely anymore, but many times I wish it was. I guess it's good for people to have a quirky option or whatever, but my money this generation will be going to Sony.
    I can see where this is going, and I don't care.

Quote Originally Posted by Div View Post
    Ugh I just want a normal gaming console. Can I just have a normal console that plays games that are good? I guess nintendo wants to convey that that's not what they do precisely anymore, but many times I wish it was. I guess it's good for people to have a quirky option or whatever, but my money this generation will be going to Sony.
    I wouldn't mind it being a handheld hybrid if they at least make it as powerful (if not a bit more advanced) than it's competitors. They could have the controller be a handheld and then they have a little docking station for the TV that has beefier components inside that are around PS4 level.