Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Literature Thread

We all know that everyone here plays videogames, and most watch movies, but I'm sure there are plenty of readers here too. If you've got a good read, talk about it here, and just feel free to talk about literature in general.

At the moment I'm reading a novel by Harry Turtledove called "In the Presence of Mine Enemies." Its an alternate history novel in which Nazi Germany won World War II. At this point in time (modern age), Jews are assumed to be almost entirely eradicated from the earth, but there are many still trying to live on in secrecy within the German Empire, and the story follows a Jewish family doing that. I've only begun to read it, but its pretty good so far.

I also started Johnny Tremain the other day, and I finished Ballad of the White Horse by G. K. Chesterton for my highschool literature.

So what have you guys been reading?
    "Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity." - General George S. Patton.

I most recently read Archie Megaman #1-8, packaged in two neat little graphic novels. And this forum. I've fallen out of the habit of voluntary reading, although I used to be a bookworm.
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Copernicus Leslie Qwark
    Take THAT, culture!
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Craig Smith
    Baldy McNosehair looks dead sexy in a miniskirt!
    \ [__] /
    ^('-' )^ You got the copy of Ratchet and Clank! (da da da daaaa!)

I'm currently reading MYST series again.. :>

We've had book threads in the past, but... I guess we don't need to resurrect one of those.

I recently finished Slaughterhouse Five by Kurt Vonnegut. It was pretty good. It's weird any time there is a protagonist with my name. It's sort of about a time traveler and the book is pretty non linear as he travels in time from being a kid, to being in WW2 to being taken by aliens. It took me way too long to read it.

Now I'm reading The Princess Bride.

Insomniac Games - North Carolina - QA Lead

Finished the hobbit a few weeks ago and don't have another book at the moment. I have ones I want to buy but not much free time to jump into reading them yet.

I just finished up Flow: The Psychology of Optimal Experience. Kind of a strange pick for a pleasure read, but I find psychology really interesting. Especially when it's related to positive experiences and happiness.

50 shades of grey

yup

Quote Originally Posted by banded1 View Post
    50 shades of grey

yup
    It would even better if you heard it being narrated by MORGAN FREEMAN!.
    also titty sprinkles!

Quote Originally Posted by Beast! View Post
    We've had book threads in the past, but... I guess we don't need to resurrect one of those.

I recently finished Slaughterhouse Five by Kurt Vonnegut. It was pretty good. It's weird any time there is a protagonist with my name. It's sort of about a time traveler and the book is pretty non linear as he travels in time from being a kid, to being in WW2 to being taken by aliens. It took me way too long to read it.

Now I'm reading The Princess Bride.
    Yeah, I think I remember there being one, but it's been awhile.

Edit: If you're into sci-fi stuff (which Slaughterhouse Five looks somewhat like) you might like Ender's Game.

The Princess Bride movie was great. +1 for Andre the Giant!

Quote Originally Posted by Ryha View Post
    Finished the hobbit a few weeks ago and don't have another book at the moment. I have ones I want to buy but not much free time to jump into reading them yet.
    The Hobbit is the only LOTR book I've read so far. I figured I had to get that one down first if the movie is going to be coming out.
    Last edited by Holt 5; 13-Sep, 2012 at 11:23 AM.
    "Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity." - General George S. Patton.