Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

A Serious Underrated Discussion

I want to try take a look at underrated/underappreciated/underlooked games, and recently been browsing various sites for their lists of these games. And.. It has been with mixed results.

Folklore is a highly underrated game. It got no advertising, early in the PS3 life cycle - and it looks very dated and have some quite frustrating controls at times, but as many RPG fans who actually gave it a shot will say - it deserves more credit than it gets. The combat and various mechanics were amazing, and while other games kind of tried the same, no one really got it quite as in-depth. When you want Folk IDs, you have to jank them out with the Sixaxis, which works well for about.. 90+% of the time, but then there's a larger Folklore, which requires an awful pattern and those 10% of failing hard hits REALLY hard.. But still it's such a charming game, with wonderful characters, admittedly awful localisation, but impressive mechanics.. And most people ask "What is Folklore? Is it a game?"

Then there's the Darksiders games, which got great reviews - the sequel even better - but even then, many people just writes it off as a LoZ made by Blizzard kind of clone. Perhaps similar to anything made by Platinum. Really great games, get great well-deserved reviews, but they never really get the sales and attention it deserves. Bayonetta 2 might be an exception, but that also only exists because of Nintendo.

These games were listed, but.. The reason I made the thread was actually because, 90% of the games they list are definitely not under-anything. Wind Waker is on many lists, even it's sold insane amounts, get amazing reviews and has a lot of talk about it. Then there's usually 2/3 of games that are GotY nominees, with lots of praise and incredible sales.

What I'm getting at... Can people list games from the last generation of consoles and/or pc, that are actually gems that most overlook? Maybe write a little about what makes it something worth actually giving a shot? Doesn't have to be an amazing game, it can simply be great execution of mechanics, a unique story, etc. I frankly don't want to hear about games that "only got 9.1 on critics avg. 9.5 user avg. with 7mil sales"

Has to be something like Folklore, perhaps even Demon's Souls - which is completely ignored even though it's a very praised game - because it had no publisher in some regions for years and Dark Souls were multiplatform and had way more advertising. El Shaddai and Asura's Wrath are also games that I never heard of till recently, and while very wonky - they have something going for them.

I think about stuff like that a lot so my list might be a little long.
    Some of the most underrated (let's include reviews, sales and/or how often they get mentioned into this) games and game series I can think of right now are:

Enslaved: Odyssey to the West, its expansion Pigsy's Perfect 10, Brutal Legend, Vanquish, Bayonetta, Darksiders, Resistance, Heavenly Sword, Sleeping Dogs, Spec Ops: The Line, Stronghold, Space Colony, Okami, Crysis, Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning, Infamous, Blur, Split/Second: Velocity, Knack, Saints Row, Fuse and the newer Rayman games.

And I also feel that Ratchet & Clank, Sly Cooper and Jak and Daxter are extremely underrated, but at least two of those get movies and if they get successful or positive reviews they have a chance to get out of that list because more people get to know the game which I hope happens because they are part of my favourite genre and it's a genre that sadly isn't as successful as it used to be, although, in my opinion, the quality of the games got even better, at least when it comes to Ratchet & Clank.

I'd include all of the games I mentioned into the list of the best games I've ever played and I feel that they are way better than more successful, more known and more positively reviewed games from same genres and often overall.
    Last edited by PatHelmsley; 5-Apr, 2015 at 04:45 AM.

Not really "last gen", but it's on previous gen consoles: Wolfenstein The New Order. It's probably the best shooter I've played in a long time. Awesome mechanics and great story.

For every day the sequel hasn't been released yet, no one will convince me that Beyond Good & Evil is not underrated.

While it is a bit old, The Misadventures of Tron Bonne is a very underappreciated title, although it's probably because of how much the game costs nowadays...

Quote Originally Posted by PatHelmsley View Post
    I think about stuff like that a lot so my list might be a little long.
    Some of the most underrated (let's include reviews, sales and/or how often they get mentioned into this) games and game series I can think of right now are:

Enslaved: Odyssey to the West, its expansion Pigsy's Perfect 10, Brutal Legend, Vanquish, Bayonetta, Darksiders, Resistance, Spec Ops: The Line, Stronghold, Space Colony, Crysis, Infamous, Blur, Split/Second: Velocity, Knack, Saints Row, Fuse and the newer Rayman games.

And I also feel that Ratchet & Clank, Sly Cooper and Jak and Daxter are extremely underrated, but at least two of those get movies and if they get successful or positive reviews they have a chance to get out of that list because more people get to know the game which I hope happens because they are part of my favourite genre and it's a genre that sadly isn't as successful as it used to be, although, in my opinion, the quality of the games got even better, at least when it comes to Ratchet & Clank.

I'd include all of the games I mentioned into the list of the best games I've ever played and I feel that they are way better than more successful, more known and more positively reviewed games from same genres and often overall.
    Enslaved and Brutal Legend are definitely underrated little gems.

Quote Originally Posted by PatHelmsley View Post
    Vanquish, Bayonetta
    There's no denying thaht anything Platinum releases, is highly underrated.

MGR: R is amazing. Music and bosses are freakin' insane - even though last boss is bugged on Normal.

Darksiders
    Yup. Glad Nordic picked it up.

Resistance
    Actually one of the few FPS series I enjoyed, and yeah - highly underrated. I need to pick up the trilogy bundle sometime. It's ~$14.4 here.

Crysis
    Don't really see that? They never seemed underrated to me, perhaps a bit too much focus on the graphics - no talk about anything else.

Infamous, Knack, Saints Row, newer Rayman games.
    Can't say I agree - except maybe Saints Row - as people still want to compare it to GTA. But hey - can't differ in opinions

Quote Originally Posted by Ratchet525 View Post
    Not really "last gen", but it's on previous gen consoles: Wolfenstein The New Order. It's probably the best shooter I've played in a long time. Awesome mechanics and great story.
    Amazing story indeed. 100% agree on this one.

"As you once did for the vacuous Rom, grant us eyes, grant us eyes.
    Plant eyes on our brains, to cleanse our beastly idiocy."

Quote Originally Posted by De'Za View Post
    Don't really see that? They never seemed underrated to me, perhaps a bit too much focus on the graphics - no talk about anything else.
    That's basically the reason I put it into the list, a lot of people always say that Crysis has too much focus on the graphics but in my opinion the series also has an amazing story and great gameplay.

One of my favorite games of the PS3 generation was Sleeping Dogs. I feel like that was really underrated. It was a GREAT game that really got overlooked because there are so many GTA-style games nowadays. But it had a story that was genuinely engrossing, I can't remember the last time I was so invested in a video game story. I can't recommend it enough and it's a shame it didn't get more praise.

I have it that way with Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII.

Many "hardcore FF fans" just writes it off because we have had a lot of Lightning games, but.. Lightning is no worse than TIdus (from the most overrated FF in my mind), or Cloud - who is just a tool*. While I agree the story is quite bad, there's character stories that are really great - and if you ignore how you use garbs to set up combat, it's actually a very competent combat system. Definitely one of my favourite in the series.

However, I also feel LR is like DoC. DoC is very different than the regular FF VII and people accept that as a spin-off.. For some reason LR isn't.

In short; LR is a fantastic A-RPG. It's not a fantastic FF, though. It deserves a chance as an A-RPG.

*Long ago, I actually saw a really good video discussing this about the FF leads. Sadly, I don't have a link saved.

"As you once did for the vacuous Rom, grant us eyes, grant us eyes.
    Plant eyes on our brains, to cleanse our beastly idiocy."