Page 1 of 24 12311 ... LastLast

App Recommendation Thread

I thought it'd be cool to have a thread where we can discuss popular apps on iOS / Android that are cool / unique. So, here's some I think are pretty noteworthy!

Viggle - If you have an iPhone and you don't have this, you're doing it wrong! Basically this app rewards you with "points" for watching TV and ads, and you can cash in those points for rewards (like BestBuy gift cards!). As you watch, you can do things like play trivia, watch commercials, or share your "check ins" for extra points. It's really cool, and very much worth it (especially now with March Madness winding down, points are everywhere!).

Nike+ - I believe this is available for both iOS and Android. It's an awesome running app that tracks distance, pace, route, time, and a bunch of other things (like calories, etc). Very great app for tracking your progress if you're trying to get into shape. Also has an awesome "tag" feature, where the person who runs the shortest time or distance becomes "it" and must run longer to make someone else "it". Really fun stuff and helps to push you!

Zombies RUN! - Great game! As you run (or walk) you'll pick up supplies that you can use to build up your encampment and bolster your survivor count! Between songs, you'll be treated with little story tidbits that flesh out the universe, telling you about other camps, and giving you missions to run. If you turn on GPS, you'll get "Zombie Chases" where you have to turn on the heat and out run a zombie horde (it'll track your pace with GPS, so RUN!). Very fun fitness game

Draw Something - Fantastically fun game with "charm". Basically you pick a word, and draw it, while the other player guesses what your drawing is. Since its all "finger drawing" nothing is outrageously good and artistic ability isn't super necessary! Very fun game, and you can play between platforms! Check it out (it's free!).

No one? No game recommendations? Handy apps? Anything?

Quote Originally Posted by Cron-Z View Post
    Soon... Me = busy
    You and all your life stuff and moderatory duties!

*goes back to calc homework*

Also, new app recommendation:

Instagram - iOS only (for a few more weeks at least). Soon to release on Android App store. Very awesome app, I think! Does come cool "hipster" photo's and makes me actually use my iPhone camera (though I've simply learned I'm more narcissistic than I originally thought I was). You can't view galleries outside of the app, but here's a sample photo I took today mid-yard work:

http://i.imgur.com/NG3wN.jpg

My username is jeremyricci83. If you've got it, follow me (so I can follow you back!).

Triple Town ftw!

Also, for the more practical and frugal folks, there's a simple app called "Compare and Convert," that is good for comparing prices for things that aren't easy to compare (like one thing might be priced by weight and another by volume).
    -Lisa
    Game Designer

Everything I use is pretty popular.

I use an android, so I don't know if these all have iOS counterparts.

Angry Birds Space
    NBA Gametime - Let's me follow the games when I'm not near a computer or TV.
    Reddit is fun - Reddit... is fun. It's an app for browsing Reddit.
    Fruit Ninja
    Wikipedia - They recently released an official app, and it's pretty hot.
    Where's My Water - Pretty fun, you reroute water into an alligators bathtub.

Insomniac Games - North Carolina - QA Lead

I like to use Instagram and TiltShift Generator for pictures. I hear Instagram isn't on android yet, but will be very soon. No idea about tiltshift...

As for games, Scribblenauts is too much fun. Again, I don't know if they have it on android, but I recommend you try it if they do (and have never played the DS version). I was tasked with bringing about an extinction event for the dinosaurs, so I spawned an evil undefeatable spoon that murdered them all.

Also, Words with Friends.

Bump is a lot of fun to mess around with as well. You get two devices, start the app on both, and then tap the phones together in order to exchange pictures/videos. At least, that's how it works with iphones. I assume it's the same on android.

Other than that, all I use are the imdb.com and cracked.com apps, and occasionally Pandora.

Not on the app store right now due to complications but It will be back soon, so to all simpsons fans the app Simpsons: Tapped out is pretty awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Ryha View Post
    Not on the app store right now due to complications but It will be back soon, so to all simpsons fans the app Simpsons: Tapped out is pretty awesome
    Not a plug at all, right? :lol:

Quote Originally Posted by Wertle View Post
    Triple Town ftw!

Also, for the more practical and frugal folks, there's a simple app called "Compare and Convert," that is good for comparing prices for things that aren't easy to compare (like one thing might be priced by weight and another by volume).
    Is Triple Town like Tower Defense? That's what it looks like. I'll have to give it a look!