Question What are your thoughts on the distributed web technology called IPFS?

It is a project that aims to mirror data in several places at once, making nodes for low-latency web access. It is a decentralized service that also aims for data preservation.

The website can be found here: ipfs.io

What are your thoughts? Will it falter, die, and fade into obscurity or could it be a serious technology for the internet in the future.

My concerns are the potential malicious uses of the service. If someone uploaded malware it'd be distributed to all the nodes and the users connected to the nodes. It'd infect fast and be hard to stop the replication of the malware across nodes.
    My computer that I built.

From what I've seen, I think it will become something serious in the future.

I seems somewhat similar to Project Maelstrom.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey Ozanne View Post
    My concerns are the potential malicious uses of the service. If someone uploaded malware it'd be distributed to all the nodes and the users connected to the nodes. It'd infect fast and be hard to stop the replication of the malware across nodes.
    I had not heard about InterPlanetary File System before I checked Wikipedia and the link you provided.
    On the Wikipedia page they mention that IPFS would protect against DDoS attacks.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/InterP...ry_File_System

How does this work? Is it because the files do not come from one particular server but are shared by many? So if one were to DDoS attack it, they would attack too many different entities and would not be able to overload all available?

Sorry for asking. Not entirely sure how it works. Only remember consoles suffered these attacks in the past.